Exocet classing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exocet classing

I've been talking with my son about building an Exocet, which is basically a Miata drivetrain and suspension with a tube-framed exoskeleton body. Looks a bit like an Ariel Atom, but a bit primitive since it's based on an old Miata.
    http://exomotive.com/exocet/
    It should be pretty quick since they're light, but running a near stock miata drive train means it won't be crazy fast.

So some dumb questions about classing... I couldn't find anything similar in the GCR. What would something like this get classed in? If it's a race class, does that mean full roll cage? (I'd rather not have the race version with the full cage since I don't think that will be street legal.) I would put racing seats and full harnesses in it. Can something like this run track days?

Is this a sane idea for HSAX and track days?
    Thoughts appreciated,
    Jim
    Exocet 1966 Lotus 7 Replica

Originally posted by jwagner View Post
    I've been talking with my son about building an Exocet, which is basically a Miata drivetrain and suspension with a tube-framed exoskeleton body. Looks a bit like an Ariel Atom, but a bit primitive since it's based on an old Miata.
    It should be pretty quick since they're light, but running a near stock miata drive train means it won't be crazy fast.

So some dumb questions about classing... I couldn't find anything similar in the GCR. What would something like this get classed in? If it's a race class, does that mean full roll cage? (I'd rather not have the race version with the full cage since I don't think that will be street legal.) I would put racing seats and full harnesses in it. Can something like this run track days?

Thoughts appreciated,
    Jim
    well it would only be a race class if you run a race tire (full slick) if its dot and tread wear of >140 approved tire then it should be like a ss or su but i will double check the rule book other wise it would be race class based on displacement
    Last edited by mikeracing; 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwagner View Post

Thoughts appreciated,
      Jim
      well it would only be a race class if you run a race tire (full slick) if its dot approved tire then it should be like a ss or su but i will double check the rule book

a full cage shouldn't make it not street legal. it would be safer anyways

and i believe most hpde's don't allow open wheel cars for insurance reasons but i could be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by mikeracing View Post

and i believe most hpde's don't allow open wheel cars for insurance reasons but i could be wrong
        Good point that I hadn't considered. I'm pretty sure that I've seen Caterhams and other 7 clones at local HPDEs. They look pretty much the same to me as the Exocet. After some google-based research, it looks to me like most clubs won't allow open wheel cars at track days. It seems to vary a lot with cars like Caterhams considered open wheel by some clubs but not by others.

Jim

Comment

Isn't "Street Legal" just lights, turn signals, and bumpers? There are several cars with cages that driver the streets without problem I believe. Even some IT W2W drivers who drive their car to the track.

With that, HSAX "race" categories go by point assessments. Likely it would go into a race category, which is based on displacement. You could argue it's "fendered" so would be C race, or D race if it's considered open wheel. But that's for the Car Classification committee.

Or you could not run slicks, get appropriate tires, and go Street Tire class HSAX. GCR should point you to the proper direction in that regard as well.
          Chris Falconer
          HSAX & Race Steward

Comment

Awesome build idea! Should make for a great track car.

I am in a similar boat as I am building a Lotus 7 type car, a Brunton Stalker M-Spec. http://stalkercars.com/models/m-spec/

I'm told by discussion on here it will be NOT be considered an open wheeled car. Presumably because the rear wheels are covered. That puts me in A Race.

I have always been a Street Tire class guy, and would like to remain so, in SU. However, this part hangs me up:

1 General 1.1 The Street Tire Class is a restricted class, meaning that if a vehicle modification is not specifically listed
            below, it is NOT ALLOWED. Vehicles running in the Street Tire categories must have been series produced with normal road equipment capable of being licensed for normal road use in the United States and normally sold and delivered through the manufacturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States.

Using the tube chassis prevents me from being "series produced" and "delivered through manufacturer's retail sales outlets".

I think you will be in the same boat.

That said, I would like to see the rules changed to allow similar cars in SU. Unlimited should be just that, right?
            Last edited by subtlez28; 09-25-2013, 10:44 PM.
            -Shaun- #228 AR
            Brunton Stalker M-spec LS3/T56 2015 AR Champ
            2002 Z28 Hardtop LS1/T56 2007 2008 2009 SS Champ

Comment

I agree the Z28

no way Street Tire

Race Class only

Robert Dudek

P.S. - how about an Atom ( Ecotech Turbo ) or Factory Five 818 ( STI power )
              Robert Dudek

Comment

Looked at Ariel Atom a while back and thought they were expensive, at least beyond what I want to spend on a weekend toy. The 818 might be my first choice if there weren't an 18 month leadtime on the kit. The Exocet kit is cheap, donors are cheap, parts are plentiful and cheap, and being based on a NA Miata, should be durable and cheap to run.

I'd rather run on street tires, but it looks like this car would be classed as Race. Given a car that I'm guessing will have about 150hp at the crank, the classing probably won't be favorable. Should be fun though.

Comment

Well, my thoughts are that if the car is a street legal car and capable of being registered and insured to drive on th street, it should be able to run in street class on street tires. This would eliminate the retired cup cars and such.

As for the race classes..... they are based on displacement and this one should fit in just fine with the miata power train.

The stalker should be able to do just fine on street tires in AR. Cameron still is beating the AR times on street tires with his car and yours should have more power and be lighter. As long as the driver mod is working correctly, you should be able to beat his times.
                  Brad Oblak -SCSCC
                  2000 Z28 #00 AM
                  2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 AM Class champ- Blue Camaro
                  2006 & 2007 AR Class champ - Silver Camaro
                  HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by MBC Racing View Post
                    Well, my thoughts are that if the car is a street legal car and capable of being registered and insured to drive on th street, it should be able to run in street class on street tires. This would eliminate the retired cup cars and such.

As for the race classes..... they are based on displacement and this one should fit in just fine with the miata power train.

The stalker should be able to do just fine on street tires in AR. Cameron still is beating the AR times on street tires with his car and yours should have more power and be lighter. As long as the driver mod is working correctly, you should be able to beat his times.
                    Completely agreed!

As for beating Cameron and the driver mod... Cameron keeps getting faster, and I keep missing races... So I have some serious work cut out for me!!
                    -Shaun- #228 AR
                    Brunton Stalker M-spec LS3/T56 2015 AR Champ
                    2002 Z28 Hardtop LS1/T56 2007 2008 2009 SS Champ

Comment

Ecoset classing

I am not an expert here but as I remember a "street legal" car/automobile must meet certain Sate and Federal safety standards such as door bars, SRS, fenders, DOT approved lighting, defrost system, etc, etc. Just need to drill down into the safety regs. and define what "street ready" is defined as in the MC GCR. A good place to start this discussion is with the club HSAX Comp. Director or Club HSAX Chief. No - Yes?

Bill

PS: Will this change bring back approximately 50 to 100 car per event that is needed to insure there will be clubs to put on events?

Comment

Bill - It will get one more car back, possibly with two drivers since I've got a co-builder/co-driver.

The Exocet is actually street legal in most places if you put on the windshield, lights, etc.. I probably won't do that.

Looks to me like it will be classed in C Race:
                        GCR 1.1.3 Only vehicles produced for sale in the U.S.A at the time of their manufacture will be classified as Stock, Prepared, or Modified. Any kit cars and vehicles not available for sale in the U.S.A at the time of their manufacture, will be classified in the appropriate Race class.

I have stared at the GCR for a good long time and can't find anything about race classes needing roll cages, fire suppression, racing attire, etc. I suppose it's time to ping the safety steward since I want to put a deposit down on one this week and it would be a real screwup to order the sport model with the roll bar if I really need a cage.

Comment

Exocet

jwagner,

Any updates on if you went through with the order? I'm quite interested in the exocet and what it would take to register one in IL.

I would be happy to jump in on any build days if you need a hand with the build.

Comment

Yes, we're building the Exocet. Hope to have it at least running before the snow flies.

More info than you want here:
                            http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=521997

Jim

Comment

The exocet is a highly modified miata. Classing should depend on the final specs. Is he running a stock 116hp 1.6L with an open rear? Is he running a turbocharged miata engine? Is he running a 550hp LS7?

Class the car based on the final spec. How mild or insane will the car be?
                              www.allenskillicorn.com

Comment

Working...
                              X