Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedbugy996
    replied
    I may have the article in my stack of magazines, if I can find it I'll bring it to autobahn. Going from memory they tested same tire on 17 and 18 wheels, overall dia went up 1 inch with the 18s. It wasn't a huge gain but it was a gain. Considering the things mbc pointed out I'd be ok changing the rule as he described.

Leave a comment:

• MBC Racing
    replied
    Originally posted by speedbugy996 View Post
    Grassroots magazine did a test on this, they found a 1 inch increase from 17 to 18 inch dia wheels garnered a .75 to 1 second improvement in lap times on their autox course. Not sure that would equate to the same gain for all cars or wheel changes, just saying. I wouldn't push for a rule change pertaining to this, but I wouldn't oppose it either.
    I'd like to see the test data or article. If the overall diameter was the same, I'm not sure how that would work. I don't think there is enough sidewall flex to make a difference. Plus there is the weight of the wheel/tire assy and where the most mass is located. True apples to apples test would have to be exact same diameter, width and assy weight. Also I think my launch is adversly affected with the smaller side wall tires. I'd rather be running my 17's, and would be interested to see if they slowed me down.

Leave a comment:

• MBC Racing
    replied
    I understand your point, but right now there are not points assessed for change in tire size. So, people can monkey around with profile changes with no impact to points. Most people can't go down in wheel size due to not clearing factory brakes and some people are forced to run a larger wheel due to brake upgrades that they are already taking points for. Some people just want to run the same wheels/tires on all 4 corners to allow for better tire use and rotation....
    Some people who buy used tires had to go up in rim size due to tire availability....

With the economy the way it is, we need to try to make it as affordable and easy for people to compete.

Leave a comment:

• speedbugy996
    replied
    Grassroots magazine did a test on this, they found a 1 inch increase from 17 to 18 inch dia wheels garnered a .75 to 1 second improvement in lap times on their autox course. Not sure that would equate to the same gain for all cars or wheel changes, just saying. I wouldn't push for a rule change pertaining to this, but I wouldn't oppose it either.

Leave a comment:

• jimbbski
    replied
    I'm not an autoxer but I will make a comment. Smaller wheels by greater then 1 inch from stock should get a point assement. The change in gear ratio then available is an advantage. Of course you can waive it if the car has tires with the same diameter as stock and no gear ratio advantage.

Leave a comment:

• MBC Racing
    started a topic Rules change for HSAX 2014 season

Rules change for HSAX 2014 season

I want to get this started early so we can have a good list put together by the rule-a-thon.

I discussed this one with a few people and they seem to be in favor of it.

I am proposing to remove the point assessment for change in wheel DIAMETER.

"Change of rim diameter, per full inch increment (up to 16” = 0; greater
    than 16” = 1 per inch from stock; Decrease in rim diameter from stock = 1 point per inch) varies"

I don't see any real advantage or disadvantage with changing. Yes, there may be a slight advantage of effective gear ratio by going smaller, but as far as effect to times.... I really don't see any. I think this will allow people who are on a budget to use what they want with out the point penality.

I definitely think we need to keep the rim width point assessment. That does allow you to run a wider tire that does yeild an advantage.

thoughts?
Working...
X